Makes 50 to 60 4-inch-long twists
Hilly, a Golden Retriever–Labrador Retriever mix, likes these treats so much that her owner is using them for training. Flaxseeds in the dough and in the cornmeal add both a nutty flavor and excellent nutrition.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄4 cup low-sodium beef or chicken bouillon powder
1⁄4 cup flaxseed meal
1 large egg
3⁄4 cup warm water
1 cup cornmeal, for rolling out treats
1⁄2 cup flaxseed meal, for rolling out treats
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the first five ingredients until well combined. Then knead the mixture with your hands until it forms a ball of dough.
- Put the cornmeal and 1⁄2 cup flaxseed meal on a breadboard. Drop the ball of dough on the mixture and flatten slightly. Flip the dough over to get cornmeal and flaxseed meal on both sides. Roll out the dough to about 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the circle of dough into sections about 4 inches wide. Then cut the dough in each section into strips about 1⁄2 inch wide. (Each strip will be 4 inches by 1⁄2 inch.) Twist each strip several times.
- Place strips on greased cookie sheets
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. 7. Remove from oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container.