Makes 50 to 60 4-inch-long twists
Hilly, a Golden Retriever–Labrador Retriever mix, likes these treats so much that her owner is using them for training. Flaxseeds in the dough and in the cornmeal add both a nutty flavor and excellent nutrition.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄4 cup low-sodium beef or chicken bouillon powder
1⁄4 cup flaxseed meal
1 large egg
3⁄4 cup warm water
1 cup cornmeal, for rolling out treats
1⁄2 cup flaxseed meal, for rolling out treats
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the first five ingredients until well combined. Then knead the mixture with your hands until it forms a ball of dough.
- Put the cornmeal and 1⁄2 cup flaxseed meal on a breadboard. Drop the ball of dough on the mixture and flatten slightly. Flip the dough over to get cornmeal and flaxseed meal on both sides. Roll out the dough to about 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the circle of dough into sections about 4 inches wide. Then cut the dough in each section into strips about 1⁄2 inch wide. (Each strip will be 4 inches by 1⁄2 inch.) Twist each strip several times.
- Place strips on greased cookie sheets
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. 7. Remove from oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container.
Crunchier Treats: For crisper treats, when all the cookies have been baked, turn off the oven. Put all the cookies back on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven. Leave them in the cooling oven for several hours or overnight to harden.
Please Head On Over To Next Page To See More