Makes 20 to 25 3-inch-long dog bone–shaped cookies Sunny, a Golden Retriever, likes crunchy treats. He chooses these whole-grain cookies every time, even over treats that contain meat.
2 cups Honey Puffed Kashi cereal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup water
1 large egg
1 cup Honey Puffed Kashi cereal, for rolling out treats
How to make Kashi Cookies for dogs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a blender or food processor to grind 2 cups of Kashi cereal to a coarse powder.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground Kashi with the flour and baking powder. Add the water and egg and mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough with your hands until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Place the ball of dough on a floured breadboard and flatten. Roll out about
halfway and turn over. Sprinkle 1⁄2 cup unground Kashi cereal over the dough and roll it into the dough as you finish rolling it out to about 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Use a 3-inch dog bone-shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough into shapes.
- Place the cookies on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Turn the cookies over and put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container.
Crunchier Treats: For crisper treats, when all the cookies have been baked, turn off the
oven. Put all the cookies back on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven. Leave
them in the cooling oven for several hours or overnight to harden.
NUTRITIONAL NOTES: KASHI
Honey Puffed Kashi cereal is sold at health food stores and many regular grocery stores. It contains whole grains, including red winter wheat, brown rice, oats, barley, triticale, rye, buckwheat, and sesame seeds. (Note that triticale is a wheat hybrid. The triticale and the red winter wheat in Kashi make it unsuitable for dogs with wheat allergies.) For dogs without any wheat allergies, Kashi adds a nutritious, tasty crunch to dog treats.
1 cup of Kashi contains:
• 120 calories
• 3 grams protein
• 1 gram fat
• 25 grams carbohydrates
• 6 mg sodium